Wednesday, May 20, 2009

I'm here, and here and OH! I'm over there too

Today in class the topic of ‘where’ was brought up. Before today I had never really been able to rap my mind around the idea of being in more than one place at once but during and after the discussion it makes total sense to me. Which is saying a lot because more often than not I find myself lost during these 80 minutes every Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

            At this very moment there are many things on my mind; writing a blog, my various classes, finals, summer, and many many more. With all these things on my mind, it makes it so all of these things are here with me. Now, not each and every part of all of them can be here, but the idea of all of them are here. I do not and physically cannot have summer here in my dorm room with me but the idea of the warm sun and the beach are in my mind. That is how it is with all things, places, and people we think about. They may not physically be there with you but the ideas of them are, the way they look, the way they smell, and all the various memories you have experienced with this person, place or thing.

            With this idea of being anywhere that someone is thinking of you, it makes complete sense that even when an individual passes away they in a sense are not really gone. Sure, their bodies will be gone, but their soul does not die until the last person with any thoughts or memories of them passes away. And even then, when a living relative looks at an old photo of someone who lived in the past and starts thinking about that person, the dead person is now ‘alive’ again, if even only for a moment. 

All too recently I have had this experience. At the beginning of this quarter my grandmother passed away and I know that even though her body has not more life, that her memories and the impact that she had on the world around my will follow me through my life. I am thankful that I was able to be as close to her as I was because she was an amazing person and I would hate to lose or not have these amazing memories of her. When I have children I will tell them the stories of my memories of my grandmother and I would hope that they would pass those stories on to their children as well, this was I would wish that the memories of her would never die.

No comments:

Post a Comment