Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The other me

This past weekend I took the 6-hour drive home to Spokane to see my family and my boyfriend. I noticed something while waiting in the terrible traffic through the pass on the return trip yesterday afternoon. It seems as though I am a different person when I go home. My world is totally different when I am at home with my loved ones. I find myself relaxing much more, not worrying about schoolwork or friends or my life at school in general. Life is easier, I can eat real food, take a break from my life here at school. I am not exactly sure whether this ‘other me’ would be considered to be my doppleganger because there is hardly any shift in me when compared to the differences between Ned and Greg of the Filth.

If in fact the other me is considered to be my doppleganger, then it seems as though everyone has many different doppelgangers. For instance, I have a friend who acts one way when she is around me and then as soon as she gets around a certain group of people her entire personality changes, she literally becomes a different person. She will look in the mirror to make sure that she looks just so and she will constantly be talking about things that I never expected her to be discussing. I can see this in myself as well, depending on the group of people I’m with, I will say different things and act a different way. It is in all of us to behave differently in different domains. We all have doppelgangers but they are not just out there wondering around, the ones that we have are in our heads, just waiting for their turn to speak. 

No comments:

Post a Comment