Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Mask

On Monday, the 18th we discussed the concept of ‘Fancy Dress’ and how when we first meet new people many of us in society will put up a mask, only showing the new person certain aspects of their personality that we want to.  

The concept of fancy dress is taking this mask idea to a new level because the people who chose to dress that way on a daily bases really are showing us their personalities. Maybe they are unsure as to how else to let the world know who they really are so they decide to show us through the way that they dress. When I see someone wearing a ‘unconventional’ outfit I tend to look at them for a longer period of time than I would someone who was dressed ‘normally’. To me this means that they really are catching they eye of the public and making the rest of us think about why they might have chosen to dress that way.

I have been known to do this, when I first meet someone new, I am very shy and I talk hardly at all. This concept of only showing certain parts of your personality is relevant in the way that we dress as well.

 Each and every one of us dresses differently and we do so for different reasons for many of us, but for the majority of society they dress a certain way to attract a group of people. Most of the time they dress to attract people they want to be friends with, lovers with or just associated with.

Once the desired person has been attracted it is possible to let down your guard, take off your mask and show them who you really are and why they should like you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment